- An opportunity exists for a researcher with experience in geoscience research in 3D modelling, sensitivity analysis and integrated geophysical interpretation
- Full time, fixed term appointment for 3 years
- Salary range: Level B $98,526 - $116,792 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
Faculty of Science
School of Earth Sciences
The Centre for Exploration Targeting (CET)
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
The Centre for Exploration Targeting (CET) in the School of Earth Sciences is a unique research centre that seeks to address practical problems in mineral exploration and mining using innovative and integrated research.
Led by the Director of CET and Professor of Mineral Geoscience, the CET is recognised as a global leader in mineral geoscience research. The Centre is amongst the largest mineral exploration research centres in the world with 11 senior teaching-research and research staff employed through or affiliated with the Centre, 10 Post-doctoral Research Fellows and 35 PhD students working on one or more research themes. The efforts of the CET are underpinned by continued strong support from the international exploration industry and relevant state and commonwealth government agencies.
About the opportunity
The MinEx CRC, world’s largest mineral exploration collaboration bringing together industry, government and research organisations, have recently been granted funding to boost mineral exploration research in Australia. The Automated 3D Modelling project, led by Professor Mark Jessell and Dr Mark Lindsay, will be developing new techniques to reduce the time taken from receiving drilling data to constructing probabilistic and objective geological models.
Under general directions, you will lead a team, initiate and maintain productive relationships with members of the Loop Consortium. The Loop Consortium consists of various partner organisations from across Australia, Canada, France, Germany and the UK.
The position will have responsibility to undertake the development of algorithms and procedures to allow automated construction of 3D geological models for Project 6 within the MinEx CRC and will be involved in the supervision of postgraduate students.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Experience in geoscience research
- Proven track record in one or more of 3D modelling, uncertainty and/or sensitivity analysis and integrated geophysical interpretation
- Demonstrate achievement with a record of publications commensurate with the years in the academic environment
- Experience with successful collaboration with government and industry partners
- Experience and willingness to supervise students and staff
- Scientific computing capabilities essential
To succeed in this position, you will be a collaborative geoscience researcher with scientific computing capabilities. You will possess exceptional communications skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team to ensure priorities are set and deadlines are met.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Please see the position description prior to applying:
Position Description - Research Fellow (3D Modelling).pdf
Closing date: Sunday, 17 March 2019
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2017).