School of Earth Sciences - Centre for Exploration Targeting
United States Geological Survey
Denver Federal Center
BSc Bucknell Univ (1975), MSc Univ. of Nevada (1981), PhD Univ. of Colorado (1988)
Fellow, Society of Economic Geologists
Honorary Lifetime Member, Society for Geology Applied to Mineral Deposits
Vice-President, International Association for Gondwana Research
- 210 senior-authored and co-authored refereed publications; 175 published abstracts.
- >150 invited or keynote talks and workshops in 29 countries.
- Co-supervisor or invited referee for 15 MSc and and 19 PhD dissertations.
- Program coordinator for USGS’ geochemical exploration/mineral resource assessment projects in Alaska with annual budgets of as much as $1 million US (1989-1995).
- Coordinator of USGS activities on geoenvironmental studies in Alaska (1994-1997).
- Chief Editor: Economic Geology Monograph 9 (Mineral Deposits of Alaska, 1997); SEG Special Pub. 9 (Integrated Methods for Discovery: Global Exploration, 2002); SEG Compilation 2 (Uranium 1905-2007; 2008), SEG Special Pub 15 (The Challenge of Finding New Mineral Resources, 2010), Special issue of Economic Geology on Earth History and Ore Deposits (2010)
- Co-editor: Special issues of Mineralium Deposita on Gold in Brazil (2001) and Gold in China (2002); IAGOD volume on Metallogeny and Tectonics of Xinjiang (2003); 100th Anniversary Volume of Economic Geology (2005); Gold Metallogeny in India (2010)
- Global metallogeny, with emphasis on temporal/spatial distribution of mineral deposits.
- Geology of ore deposits in the North American Cordillera, with emphasis on orogenic gold and collisional tectonics.
- Distribution and geology of lode gold deposits in China and central Asia
- Fluid inclusion and stable isotope applications to the understanding of ore genesis
- Editor-in-Chief, Mineralium Deposita (1996-2002).
- Executive Council, for Society of Geology Applied to Mineral Deposits (1997-2002)
- Councilor for Society of Economic Geologists (2001-2003)
- USA Contact for International Liason Group on Gold Mineralization (1993-2001).
- Science advisor, Foundation for Glacial and Environmental Res., U. Idaho (1993-1998)
- Adjunct Professor, Geology, University of Colorado (1993-2000, 2012).
- Editorial Board, Geochemistry--Exploration, Environment, Analysis (2000-present)
- Honorary Research Fellow, Dept. of Geology & Geophysics, UWA (1999-2003)
- Editorial Board, Economic Geology (2003-present)
- Chair, Penrose Committee, Society of Economic Geologists (2002)
- Editorial Board, Gondwana Research (2005-present)
- Alumni Advisory Board, Dept. of Geological Sciences, University of Colorado (2007-present)
- President, Society of Economic Geologists (2007)
- Adjoint Professor, Colorado State University (2007-present)
- Chair, Nominating Committee, Society of Economic Geologists (2008)
- Chair, Program Committee, Society of Economic Geologists (2008)
- Workshop Coordinator, Society of Economic Geologists (2008-present)
- Vice-President, International Association of Gondwana Research (2009-2014)
- USGS sustained special achievement award (1980, 1985, 1988, 1996)
- Silver Medal for Scientific Achievement, Society of Economic Geologists (2001)
- Geological Society of Australia’s distinguished lecturer in economic geology (1999)
- Thayer Lindsley distinguished lecturer, Society of Economic Geologists (2002-2003)
- Vice Chairman, 9th National Conference on Mineral Resources of China (2008)
- Honorary International Lecturer, Society of Economic Geologists (2008-present)
- Advisory Board, China Mining (2008-Present)
- USGS Meritorious Service Award (2008)
- USGS Star Award (2009)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Earth and Geographical Sciences, University of Western Australia (2008-present)
- Honorary Guest Professor, China University of Geosciences—Beijing (2008-present)
- International Exchange Lecturer, Society of Economic Geologists (2010)
- Visiting Professor, Dept. of Geological Sciences, Colorado School of Mines (2012-present)
- Chair, Publications Board, Society of Economic Geologists (2012-2014)
- Ralph Marsden Medal for Significant Volunteer Contributions, Society of Economic Geologists (2012)
- Editorial Board, Bulletin of the Geological Society of China (2014-2016)
- Ralph J. Roberts Distinguished Lecturer in Economic Geology, Mackay School of Mines, Reno (2012)
- Colorado Scientific Society Best Paper Award (2013)